Harken sponsors Oracle Team USA
Harken will provide hardware for Oracle Team USA in their America's Cup challenge
Harken is to sponsor Oracle Team USA, providing hardware for its America’s Cup yachts.
Harken has been involved in the America’s Cup for 30 years with technology moving on from the 12-metre monohulls to today’s wing-sailed catamarans.
“Working in the America’s Cup pushes us to the limit,” explained Peter Harken, Chairman of Harken.
“We started in 1987 with winches and titanium blocks but now with these boats, we’ve had to learn to work in a whole different medium with the hydraulic systems.
“Everything has to be super strong and zero weight. These guys beat the heck out of the equipment. It has to withstand that. We gain a lot of knowledge from that.”
“As one of the grinders on board, I can say the pedestals, the pumps and the winches are key to how we sail every day,” added Graeme Spence, Oracle Team USA crewmember responsible for working on the winches and systems on board. “There are lots of adaptations and demands on the technology and Harken is always up to the challenge.”
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Exclusive Ropeye distributor deal for Harken
- Harken sponsors Oracle Team USA
- Flexible marine seating
- New snatch block from Harken
- New V block from Harken
- Automation will help prevent sailors ‘switching sides’
- Wally broadens influence to production boats
- Harken to distribute FSE Robline
- Harken adds 75mm Straphead
- Harken's warehouse warming party
- Harken store for Cowes High Street
- Harken to distribute mast steps
- Cool Harken moves into shades
- Harken's charity
- Lubricious foil from Harken
- Harken on the move
- Harken's Youth
- Harken gets Tylaska
- Harken reports 40% sales increase
- Deck hardware: hardware evolves
- Deck hardware: wonders by design
- Safe Sailing with Ocean Safety and Harken
- MTA/Boating Business Awards
- Harken pulls in new business
- Harken back on board with Clipper
- Harken Captive Reel offers 70 tons