Garmin acquires ActiveCaptain
ActiveCaptain is a community based, electronic marine database
Garmin has acquired Active Corporation, a developer of crowd sourced rich content for boaters called ActiveCaptain.
ActiveCaptain is a community based, electronic marine database that contains near real-time information about marinas, anchorages, local points of interest and marine hazards, most of which is user-generated.
The database boasts more than 250,000 users and can be accessed via web browser or a variety of mobile applications.
“There is really nothing else out there that compares to the depth and breadth of the ActiveCaptain database,” said Cliff Pemble, Garmin president and CEO.
“Mariners rely on ActiveCaptain to make their voyages better informed and more enjoyable and we are delighted to add this technology to the Garmin portfolio.”
“Garmin is a technology leader among boaters of all types, and we are looking forward to working with them to make ActiveCaptain even more robust and global,” added Jeffrey Siegel, co-owner and co-founder of ActiveCaptain.
“It has extensive engineering and cartography capabilities that will allow ActiveCaptain to be deeply integrated into their product offerings.”
Following the acquisition, the founders and sole employees of ActiveCaptain, Karen and Jeffrey Siegel, will become employees of Garmin International.
Financial terms of the acquisition have not been released.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Garmin launches four new electronics products
- Navionics sold to Garmin
- Garmin named Volvo Ocean Race supplier
- Garmin scoops nine NMEA awards
- Jury verdict awards $38m in damages to marine electronics firm
- Patent ruling is overturned
- US$37m fine recommended
- Garmin helps avoid collisions
- Garmin acquires ActiveCaptain
- Garmin supports Race to Scotland
- Garmin aims to be first
- Garmin is selected by Yamaha Marine
- Garmin introduces satellite communication technology
- Garmin’s new launches
- Users want functionality together with the latest designs
- Garmin updates its GPS navigator
- Garmin notches eight NMEA Awards
- Screens work in all conditions
- Screens work in all conditions
- Garmin expands
- ITC rules in Navico’s favour
- Garmin announces gWind Wireless 2 Transducer
- Technical supplier for Artemis Racing
- Garmin at Seawork
- Garmin launches HD radar at LIBS
- Garmin builds radar test facility
- Garmin: market share up, inventories reduced
- Garmin - 01.103
- Garmin - N30J
- Garmin named as Raymarine bidder
- Garmin and Fairline get together
- Garmin recalls BlueChart g2 and g2 Vision v2009
- Garmin 1st quarter 2009 revenue down 34%
- Garmin opens new European headquarters
- Garmin signs for Middlesbrough
- Waterproof hand held GPS from Garmin
- New Touchscreen chartplotters from Garmin
- Garmin's portable chartplotter
- Garmin phases out G-Chart support
- Garmin 4th quarter 09 show increases
- Garmin offers 15p a share for Raymarine
- Booking now for Leather & Lycra 2010
- Correction: Garmin offer independent of unnamed third party
- Leather & Lycra night – The Cat joins in…
- Garmin introduces the AIS 300 receiver
- MES and Garmin in Christmas tie-up
- Volvo Penta signs agreement with Garmin
- 2011 Marine Industry Regatta - FINAL CALL
- Garmin 7% up, but marine down 14%
- John Danby joins Garmin sales team
- Garmin’s latest models at Seawork
- Garmin awards industry dealers
- New Garmin products at Seawork