Oyster regeneration partnership
Ben Fogle meets with representatives from the BLUE Foundation, MDL Marinas and the University of Plymouth
A plan to reintroduce one million oysters to the Solent is on track, part of attempts to clean up the waters.
The project is being run by the Blue Marine Foundation (BLUE) in partnership with MDL Marinas, Land Rover BAR and the University of Portsmouth using oysters in cages suspended under the pontoons of MDL’s marinas.
It is supported by broadcaster Ben Fogle and a team of volunteers.
“The humble oyster is an incredibly powerful ecosystem engineer, capable of filtering 200 litres of water a day and supporting marine life,” explained Mr Fogle. “Restoring the native oyster to the Solent would be another step closer to turning the tide against the large-scale degradation of our oceans and giving something back to the UK’s inshore waters which provide us with so many benefits.”
The first cages have been lowered from the pontoons of Hamble Point, Port Hamble, Sparkes and Saxon Wharf marinas as well as the pontoons at Portsmouth University and the pontoon that MDL Marinas installed at Land Rover BAR HQ.
Dean Smith, MDL Marinas commercial director added: “Helping to restore the native oyster population, an important part of the local ecosystem which removes pollutants and provides habitats, is one of many ways that the boating community can give back to the ocean and improve the local waters around us for our future enjoyment.”
The project is a continuation of one started last year that showed the technique of suspending cages of oysters under floating pontoons can result in healthy reproduction and low mortality.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- New electric charging points installed at marinas across the UK
- Five Gold Anchors for Torquay Marina
- Electric vehicle charging points to be offered in Spain
- Oyster regeneration partnership
- MDL Marinas works with Britain’s America’s Cup team
- Final phase
- Michelle is the first woman to receive her CMP certificate
- Redesigned website for MDL Marina Consultancy
- MDL Marinas charity bike ride raises £5K
- Boats on Show event
- Investors in People
- MDL Sail Training Awards
- British Marine Awards celebrate best of the industry
- MDL Marinas - E74
- The UK’s best 'indoor' outdoor show
- Shamrock Quay wins MDL’s floral dance
- £25m Ocean Village hotel development
- Ocean Village luxury hotel, spa, and retail complex gets planning permission
- RYA open day success
- New berths for Chatham
- MDL Marinas recycling overhaul
- New cruiser builder for Hamble Point Marina
- MDL invests in the future
- MDL submits plans for rival Poole marina