Dock gateway transformed
The Canal & River Trust, which looks after the Lancaster Canal, has worked in partnership with Thurnham Parish Council to complete a £25,000 project to transform the gateway into Lancaster’s 230-year old Glasson Dock.
Located on the 2.5 mile stretch of the Glasson Branch on the Lancaster Canal which opened in 1826 and provided the towns of Kendal, Lancaster and Preston with a link to the sea, today, Glasson Dock is a Scheduled Monument.
In its heyday the port imported cotton, sugar, spices and slaves from Africa and the Indies.
Thurnham Parish Council successfully secured a £17,280 Landfill Communities Fund grant from the Lancashire Environmental Fund along with contributions from the Canal & River Trust to carry out the work.
Photo credit: Stephen Garnett Photography
Images courtesy: Canal & River Trust
Latest Press Releases
Leading Audio Manufacturer Unveils Groundbreaking RA770 and SRX400 Audio Entertainment Systems Read more
Leading Audio Manufacturer Announces Powerful Plug and Play Solution with Bluetooth Streaming Read more
Lithium-ion battery expert Dr John Warner is presenting at the NEXT GENERATION Marine Power & Propul... Read more
Hosting four regional trade shows over seven days and covering nearly 1,400 miles is not for the fei... Read more
SMG are delighted to be launching SMG Meet The Manufacturers 2018. This Trade Only event for the Mar... Read more
February 2018 Fareham UK - Mercator Media Ltd, the international, market-leading B2B marine media bu... Read more