Hoist dock for Hamble
HYS has a new travel hoist dock courtesy of Walcon Marine
Walcon Marine has completed the replacement of a 80 tonne capacity travel hoist dock at Hamble Yacht Services (HYS) on the south coast of the UK.
The project required the demolition and removal of the old dock, the driving of new piles and the fabrication and installation of new steel runway beams followed by extensive concrete works.
“We are very pleased with this project,” said James Walters, managing director, Walcon. “Bertie Bickett and his team at HYS could not have been more helpful and Tony Mayhew at civil engineering consultants Mayhew Callum Ltd provided valuable support to both sides.”
The specifications included a total of 23 steel piles, each 16 metres in length and 610 mm in diameter, being driven. During the works, 50m³ of concrete was poured both into the runways and ashore.
Projects of this type always bring with them challenges. A number of the old piles put up more resistance to extraction and the interface between the shore and marine works required careful management to ensure that each did not impede the other.
However, Walcon’s experienced team rose to the challenge making sure things were managed smoothly and keeping the project running on time.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Hoist dock for Hamble
- HYS unveils new hoist dock
- Dean & Reddyhoff buys Deacons Boatyard
- HYSRR is appointed sole UK dealer
- HYS invests in new travel hoist
- Lewmar service launch
- Hamble Yacht Services sold to Ancasta
- Life of Pi lifeboat challenge
- New owners for HYS
- Hoist dock for Hamble
- Special access pontoon is designed and built by Walcon Marine
- Walcon Pontoons at Poole
- Royal opening for Lymington pontoons
- £163;3m Portland contract for Walcon
- Walcon and SF Marinas in agency agreement
- Barge cures Walcon's pile problems
- Walcon rebuilds Solent marinas
- Walcon gets piles treatment
- 24 new berths at Largs
- Walcon enquiries
- Walcon wins North Shields
- A difficult berth
- Walcon Marine opens Imperial Wharf marina
- Walcon, Beckham and Redgrave
- Walcon awarded Kenyan marina contract
- King Point starts
- Walcon award for professionalism
- Walcon celebrates 50th
- International projects for Walcon
- Wizard gets back to work
- Walcon set to end 2014 on a high
- Major dredging at Cowes Yacht Haven
- Walcon completes latest Lake District project